Friday, March 25, 2005

Reaction to Howl

In class I was one of the few people who didn't love Howl. I read it for class and then I read it again tonight before class since I got there early. And then we read it in class, too. So, I've given it a chance. It is like the three bite rule we had at my house for food you didn't know about. Try it three times, and see how it goes. After that, it was ok to say, that's not for me. I think Howl is well written. I think the word choice and images are really unique and I understand how Ginsberg did something totally new. I wouldn't mind reading Howl again if I was writing a paper about it, or had it assigned in another class. I think Howl didn't appeal to me at a basic level because Ginsberg did so well what he intended to do. He created a very strong set of images and emotions and I saw them and felt them. I just wouldn't care to do so again soon. I disagree that art has to be pretty or nice or in some way educational, but I do think it is ok to say, "I want the art with which I surround myself to make me feel good or relaxed or excited, etc." I think my life, just like a lot of college students' lives, is busy and stressful. So when I have time to take a break, I want something that doesn't contain images that are hard and sharp and dissonant. I feel like the reaction I had to Howl is much like the reaction I have from a really busy day or a really bad conversation after not enough sleep. The feelings it evoked were powerful, but depleting. I am so tempted to throw in a punn about beat poetry. I won't, but I will say, Howl is the quintessential beat poem for a reason.